European MBA Diary

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The world is digital

As I wrote before, my internship is about new media. Searching and analysing interesting opportunites for my employer to get into (or acquire...). My second week is almost over and it has been great!! I am looking at stuff like online video gaming, social networks, music, user-generated content and advertising. I mean, this is the kind of job that I'd do for free because this is what I read on my free time! But since someone decided to pay me to do that, then even better... ;-)

I decided to share with you some of my findings. You might already know some of the stuff below (as I did) but I think it shows how cool, funny, useful or just 'different' the web can be.

Subservient Chicken: Burger King's attempt at viral marketing. Just tell the chicken what to do! Try 'dance' :-))

Blog Maverick: Marc Cuban's blog. He's the owner of Dallas Mavericks NBA team and founder of HDNet. Very interesting reading! (on a side note, this guy apparently has made the largest e-transactio ever: $40 million for a brand new Gulfstream V Jet. And here I am.... wondering if I should buy a new digital camera or not...)

Netvibes: build your own homepage. Provides a clean, organized and quick access to you RSS feeds, search engine, email account, bookmarks, tasks, photos, etc, etc, etc... Cool stuff!

Digg: you all know this one, right? Submit and rank your news stories.

Wetpaint: wiki meets blogs meets forums meets social networking meets building websites

Watson: tired of typing 'google.com' in your address bar? Then this is for you. Make searches on the fly. This piece of software analyses whatever your doing on your pc and automatically finds and delivers the information you need. Oh! And it also searches in sites like MySpace, LinkedIn, Forrester, Gartner, etc!

Second Life: MySpace in a 3D virtual world with a twist. Cool! These guys are making SERIOUS money! Check out the BBC Newsnight broadcast made from inside Second Life. It's an excelent report.

42 Entertainment: Fantastic immersive marketing company! Involve your audience in a story is one of the best viral marketing tactics. Does anyone remember Halo's ilovebees.com??

Dogster.com: MySpace for dogs!
Catster.com: MySpace for cats!!!
Hamsterster.com: MySpace for hamsters!!!!!
Petster.com: MySpace for pets!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boompa: MySpace for cars!!!!!
Lawbby.com: MySpace for LAWYERS!!!!!!!!!!
AAAARRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!
:-)

Musicubes: this is my favourite! Just build your music DNA, post it on your blog, MySpace, etc... and at the same time advertise for the BBC radio stations shown. Now, isn't this creative advertising?! Much more interesting and efficient than simple old boring banners (and shall I add Addsense?). Here's my musicube!


PS: Some sad news have come out recently...
i) Rocketboom is over (at least for Amanda Congdon)
ii) Syd Barrett (pictured above), the soul and genious behind Pink Floyd, has died
iii) my EMI strategy contact has left the company! Damn! Who am I going to ask for a job, now??


2 Comments:

  • Cool!! I'm so glad you're enjoying your internship :-)

    Try 'air guitar' for subservient chicken, it's hilarious!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 am  

  • Is there an MBAster.com?

    :)

    By Blogger Marina, at 11:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home