European MBA Diary

Friday, July 01, 2005

What a day!

Wow! Talking about mixed emotions on the same day!

On one hand, this was my last day at work. Everyone was congratulating me and wishing good luck. In fact, I am just preparing myself for a farewell dinner and after-party (which will be the best part, of course...).

On the other hand, I received today an email from LBS regarding my HSBC loan application. It was rejected. Damn!!!! Well... I guess I was being to greedy. Now I'm going for some cost-cutting exercises, mainly regarding living expenses (I was budgeting for a montlhy rent which certainly can be reduced). Also, I was expecting to use like 50% or 60% of my own savings. Now I will have to use more of them. And finally, there's always my all-mighty and wonderful parents to help me with something which may be necessary.

What worries me is that now it will take another 4 weeks to get their 2nd decision!

Pray with me, please...


5 Comments:

  • wow. sorry to hear about the loan, rsr. i was told that the hsbc loan is not guaranteed, but outright rejection? do they at least tell you how much they can offer, so you can adjust accordingly. hope it all works out on the 2nd decisions. good luck man.

    By Blogger PowerYogi, at 3:17 pm  

  • Good luck with your loans. I was going to send mine this week but got side-tracked by the scholarship essay. I'll send it next week instead. Should still be plenty of time left. If that can make you feel better, another friend of mine who is going to LBS has not even started his application either. He and I are big time procrastinators.

    By Blogger KV, at 6:59 pm  

  • Thanks for the comforting words, guys.

    PowerYogi: no, they don't tell us much about the reason for the rejection. Did just give some advices for an eventual reapplication, like cutting some living expenses and using other fund sources. I guess they use the current salary and other expenses to calculate if I could afford the loan. Which is complete nonsense, in my opinion. Salaries in Portugal are much MUCH lower than in the UK... and I wouldn't do an MBA to come to Portugal afterwards and earn the same.

    By Blogger Ricardo, at 9:21 pm  

  • Oh, so sorry to hear that RSR... Am keeping my fingers crossed for the next try. I'm sending mine this weekend (the translations took a long time).

    By Blogger divinemissN, at 6:20 am  

  • Should have read farther before my last comment. HSBC appears to reject many, many people.

    Best of luck on the re-ap.

    al

    By Blogger Al Martine, at 1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home