European MBA Diary

Monday, July 24, 2006

Everything is getting ready... and my geekiness

My New York adventure is going as planned. I've got everything set up: flight, housing, visa (the most boring 3 hours of my life) and bidding for courses. This bidding thing is funny and we don't use it at LBS. We use a priority rating method which, ultimately, should give very similar results. But the fun part in bidding is very related to the auctions stuff we learned in Microeconomy (hail to the great Marco Ottavianni!). How willing are you to pay for a particular course? Hmmm... Well, I chose two apparently popular courses (Managerial Negotiations and Strategic Management of Media) and the other are not so popular (at least last year there was free places for those courses). This allowed me to bid a lot for the popular ones and very little for the others (1 point is enough to be accepted if the course doesn't reach capacity).

I have also chosen the LBS courses for the 2nd year. Although I am still waiting for the results for both the CBS bidding and LBS allocation, here is how my next year should look like:

Fall Term - the marketing & media term
1) Strategic Management of Media
2) Marketing & the Internet (1/2 credit)
3) Media & Entertainment (1/2 credit)
4) Advertising & Integrated Communications
5) Managerial Negotiations (yeah, I know... not media related)
6) The Business of Film

Spring Term - the finance term :-)) (I guess I was drunk when I chose these)
1) Venture Finance & Private Equity
2) Financing the Entrepreneurial Business
3) Finance 2
4) Brand Management (yeah, I know... not finance... but it's a block week and I've heard the professor, Mark Ritson, is too good to let this one go)

Summer Term - the 'open your mind' term
1) Creative & Personal Mastery

and that's it. Wow, this Summer Term will be very busy! ;-)

But in fact my plan was to be done with the MBA by the end of the spring term. However, I really wanted to do this CPM course and it is only available in Autumn (when I'm in NY) or Summer. So, once again, I just couldn't let this one go. And I can still try to do some work or freelance projects to earn some much needed cash!! I am very curious about this course. If you haven't already read about it, then just pay a visit to my dear friends Miss N and Future Guru.

And now, for something completely different!

I hereby assume that I am addicted to World of Warcraft. Yes, the game. The f***king game! Of course, I can always say that this is part of my internship research on online video games... or else I guess this is just a manifestation of my inner geekiness. But hey! Here's my mage casting a mighty spell!! (omg... I am a geek)


4 Comments:

  • Creative & Personal Mastery???

    And I thought nothing could surprise me....

    By Blogger KV, at 4:31 pm  

  • It's a dutch auction!

    By Blogger Marina, at 3:46 pm  

  • Marina:
    mmmmm... are you sure? A dutch auction starts with a very high price which is then lowered until someone accepts it and wins the bid. In this case, I think that it is more like a sealed bid. Everyone submits their bid, 'sealed' (secret) and the highest bids win.

    KV:
    Go watch your reality TV shows, man!

    By Blogger Ricardo, at 3:56 pm  

  • Nice blog...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home